Menu
 

Historical Overview

  Para-Chem manufactures, sells, and services custom formulated specialty coatings, emulsion polymers, and adhesives.  John W. Jordan II (Jack), a pioneer in coatings; for textile fabrics, founded Para-Chem in 1952.  His first formulations were toll manufactured by Wica Chemical in Charlotte, NC.  In 1955, manufacturing space was leased at Amalgamated Chemical in Philadelphia, PA.  Para-Chem bought the Amalgamated plant in 1967.  This facility also served as Corporate Headquarters until 1977.

 

  Many textile mills began moving south in the late 1950's.  Para-Chem opened the Southern Division in a rented building in Greenville, SC in 1959.  This allowed better service and deliveries to the main customer base in North and South Carolina.  In 1965, land was purchased and a plant constructed in Simpsonville, SC.  The new PARABOND Adhesive Division was part of this growth.  The Simpsonville plant produces acrylic polymers, latex coatings, thickeners, and the full adhesive line.  Corporate Headquarters is also located in Simpsonville, SC.

  Two state-of-the-art plants were built in 1985.  Para-Chem acquired U.S. Adhesive; and closed their facility in Grand Prairie, TX.  A new modern adhesive plant in Mansfield, TX replaced it.  The plant manufactures mastics and solvent adhesives.  The same year, to allow for more capacity in the Simpsonville Polymer Plant, a facility to produce sodium polyacrylate thickeners was purchased in Dalton, GA.  These thickeners are used mainly by the carpet industry.  Dalton is the "Carpet Capitol of the World" with 90% of the tufted carpet produced within 50 miles. Para-Chem enjoys the majority share of the thickener market.

  All plants serve as warehouses and distribution centers for other Para-Chem products.

  Para-Chem has historically been known as a responsive, quality driven Company.  To enhance that reputation, the Continuous Improvement Philosophy and Statistical Process Control concepts taught by Dr. Edwards Deming have been used since 1988.

  On August 7, 1999, Para-Chem Headquarters in Simpsonville, SC became ISO 9001 certified.

 

 
Home    About Us    Our History    Our Products    Contact Us